Our ‘Legendary Locks’ focuses on a real ‘Rebel Without a Cause’, we show you what to look for and what to avoid when deciding on buying a suit AND we look back at the openings of our two brand new stores as well as a sneak peek at where we’re headed next!
For the Perfect Up-Do
Dusted is a Styling Powder Perfect for Long Style, Pomps, Quiffs or any style that require Volume or Texture with a Matte Finish. Dusted is a Unisex Product. Only €14.95
This month we take a look at an icon from a bygone era and explore their career and their unmistakable hairstyle.
For August we look at the life and career of the iconic James Dean and give you tips to style your hair like the ‘Rebel Without a Cause’.
James Dean was born on the 8th of February, 1931 in Marion, Indiana.
Dean graduated high school in 1949 and moved back to California. He attended Santa Monica City College briefly but after a while transferred to University of California, Los Angeles where he majored in theater.
His first television appearance was for a Pepsi Cola advertisement. To make ends meet he worked as a parking-lot attendant at CBS studios, where he met Rogers Brackett, a radio director who would later become his mentor. In 1951 he moved to New York City and was later admitted to the Actors Studio to study under Lee Strasberg, though the relationship was said to be very tense.
Over the course of the next few months, Dean starred in several major movies - East of Eden was the first and it was a role he would eventually be nominated for an academy award - which tragically meant he'd be the first actor in history to be nominated after death. His next film, was perhaps his most iconic. Rebel Without a Cause would define his image in American culture. When he wasn't acting, he was a professional car racer.
James sadly passed away at just 24 years old on the 30th of September 1955. Despite only acting for a couple of years, Dean has created a legacy that has lasted for over half a century. While his passing was tragic, we celebrate the life of the actor and a style that has transcended generations and has become simply ‘iconic’.
The pompadour style is synonymous with James Dean and for good reason. It is a timeless classic style that is still seen today - it is really quite versatile.
To achieve that look, the best practice is to start with a blank slate.
- Rid your hair of any unwanted oils and strengthen the follicles with a combination of our D2 & D3 products – our protein thickening shampoo and conditioner respectively. Using these together will ensure your hair is in the best possible shape before apply product. Our D2 RE-BUILD Shampoo is useful for preventing hair loss and making hair look thicker and fuller. Our D3 Re-Construct Conditioner.
- Add 2-3 sprays of The Grafton Barber Volumed Thickening & Texture Spray to your hair to maximise volume before taking the next step. Spray directly on the scalp and use a comb to distribute the product evenly. Use a vent brush & hair dryer on medium heat from the crown and blow-dry the hair in backwards motions & repeat this step to get as much root lift as possible. This will ensure that your hair is looking it's thickest and fullest.
- Apply a small amount of Textured and apply evenly to your hair, this medium-hold matte finish cream will ensure that your hair stays perfectly in place but can still be reworked throughout the day – for that effortless look!
- To hold it all in place, use 2-3 sprays of The Grafton Barber Maxed Hairspray to get maximum hold
All full-time courses include 6 weeks work experience in one of our Grafton Barber shops which could lead to possible employment. It is a beginners’ course for participants of all ages who would like to enter the barbering industry.
Here is a list of the upcoming courses, book now to avoid disappointment!
FULL TIME: Commences August 14th and will run for six weeks.
PART TIME: Commences September 4th and will run for twelve weeks.
- Call Siobhan on 01-6729125 or 087-2215143 now for more information and prices
10% off for early booking
• SPECIAL RATES FOR LARGE GROUPS, SCHOOLS & COLLEGES
• ASK ABOUT OUR PAYMENT PLANS
• HOT TOWEL SHAVING ONE DAY WORKSHOPS
In July we opened two brand new stores in Gorey and Galway. We are always thrilled to bring our unique service to Gentlemen & Their Sons throughout the country. Keep your eyes peeled as we'll be opening more stores in the near future. Remember where you heard it first 😉
Gentlemen! Suits are important – but your choice in suit is even more so. It’s the difference between looking like you have a hot date or a court date. But worry not! We have prepared some essential tips to ensure that you look your absolute best. From head to toe!
- FABRIC: Ensure that it is made with authentic thread that drapes elegently.
- CONSTRUCTION: Make sure the construction of your suit (where the outer fabric parts with the lining) does not lead into one another and mix. It should never be mixed, always outlined!
- SHOULDERS: Suits need a good shoulder fit. Seams should never go beyond your shoulder.
- LINING: The lining of yours should always be made with fine silk or a similar fabric. Your suit jacket should always be tailored to your fit - the hem is very important (where the lining is hung, folded and pressed)
- POCKETS: Pockets should never be bulky in a suit - they should barely be noticeable - smooth and level.
- BUTTONS: Suit buttons must always be one of the following materials: natural horn, mother of pearl, polished brass or ceramic. This is a deal breaker. If the buttons are cheap - so too is the suit!
- LAPELS: There should be a subtle roll in your lapels.
- STITCHING: It is vital your stitching is not frayed - it must be right, clean & strong
If you haven’t yet, check out our weekly article by our friends over at Extra.ie, which offers some essential style tips to get you through the Summer with each week highlighting a can't-miss event and exactly how to equip yourself for it.
It’s a must read for the gentleman on the move!
You can find an archive of all of the articles to date here
Check out our Exclusive style range from The Grafton Barber!
Summer provides a much-needed reprieve from the books, but don’t neglect the mop on top! Come by The Grafton Barber before 12:30 Monday – Friday and only pay from just €10 for a cut*. We promise an excellent service, friendly barbers and will even throw in a free complimentary beer 😉